Friday, May 1, 2009

Why I Am Wary of Business and Religion Mixing


What Would Jesus Tow?
Originally uploaded by magnetbox
I understand the need to create an advertising platform full of platitudes which differentiates your business from competitors, most people I suspect understand that these companies are engaged in maximizing profits and this is just another way to generate interest in their brand.

I am not so sure about another sort of tie in which utilizes Christian symbolism or code words to promote a similar message. Locally an in the news this week US Fidelis uses prominent Christian symbolism with a halo in their logo, other companies in commercials advise “Open everyday but Sunday” used by a local store in St. Louis and I believe more famous Chick-Fil-A whose only location I am still aware of is in Brady Commons at Mizzou.

If a business owner wishes to personally adhere to a higher order in their business practices then I applaud them for it. However I find it somewhat misleading and in to advertise it as if Jesus is your CEO, more often than not this symbolism is designed to lure customers in the exact same manner as Liberty Mutual telling you “Responsibility that’s our policy” All of it is just marketing banality not designed at all to provide any superior product or service and instead may mask deeper problems within the organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive