Friday, March 13, 2009

St. Patrick's Day parade this weekend


St. Patrick
Originally uploaded by RpDannan
Here in St. Louis there are two parades the big downtown St. Patrick's day parade, and then on the 17th the Hibernians do their own parade in Dogtown which is one of the traditional Irish settlements in St. Louis.

I have never been able to make the Hibernian parade because I like most people work and I am still not sure why they feel the need to have their own separate parade. Not that I am against it I think the more the merrier just curious why the division.

I also don't buy the argument that it is because it takes place in Dogtown IMHO the original Irish were mostly settled in Near north St. Louis and I don't see any parades around there probably would have a few surprised looks if there were though now.

One of my goals this year is to get to know the history of St. Louis with a focus on North St. Louis there is so much to discover and it is terribly divisive that we operate in a north south mentality.

Anyways looking forward to getting a lot more photos this weekend, not running in the race but will try next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive