Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I miss biking


From May 2008 until January 2009 I was able at my work to telecommute. There are a few drawbacks but for the most part it was an additional raise.

I was able to claim an hour and a half back from my day in not having to commute by car. My work is in Fenton and it is outright dangerous to even contemplate trying to bike to work additionally it would be quite awkward once I got there to try and chance into street clothes.

Once I was able to work from home I sold my car (actually a Jeep Wrangler) and bought a bike. For the next 7 months my family was a one car family and it was great. If I needed to go somewhere and the Fit was not available I would just hop on the bike and get where I needed to go.

St. Louis is a wonderful place to bike, most of the streets are light traffic there is a detailed and well marked bike St. Louis map which provides signage and in some places dedicated bike lanes to get almost anywhere in St. Louis.

Alas it is now winter and I have a car and I find it much harder to force myself to go for a ride when I could just take the car.


picture credit randomduck: http://flickr.com/photos/rudiriet/140898286/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive