Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Crossing Paths

I've had two conversations over the last two days with people whom I work with who all have some connection to south city area and it reminds me how deep many peoples attachments are to the city in a more than just visceral way.

I also realized that although both no longer live in the city they still have many fond memories and seem to appreciate on a deeper level the idiosyncrasies of urban living. I initially would have stereotyped both of them as just being run of the mill suburbanites when in fact both have much more investment in this community than I.

As guilty as I am of attacking the mindset of those who live amongst sprawl I must first remember the old adage that everyone is master to me in at least one thing it for me to discover what it may be.

One of the greatest charectoristics of the city is not just the present interactions derived but the knowledge that so many before you walked these very same streets and lived their lives in the very enclaves we call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive